Timber Industry Action Plan
Download the PDF version of this document: Timber Industry Action Plan
In 2011 the Victorian Government released the whole of government Timber Industry Action Plan (TIAP). The TIAP (www.dpi.vic.gov.au/tiap) has 34 actions which are designed to provide the conditions for a productive, competitive and sustainable Victorian timber industry. The TIAP recognises the significant role that the native and plantation timber industry will continue to play in our State’s economy in the years ahead.
Long-term security for Victoria’s timber industry
I am proud to release the Government’s ambitious new Timber Industry Action Plan. The Plan details how we will implement the Victorian Coalition Government’s forestry election commitments and assist the timber industry to meet its key challenges.
The Timber Industry Action Plan recognises the significant role the Victorian native and plantation timber industry plays in our State’s economy. Employing over 25,000 people, the industry generates more than $400 million annually in log production and far more in domestic and export oriented value added product. The industry also puts back around $1.5 billion annually into Victoria’s economy though forestry business expenditure, primarily in rural and regional townships.
A central theme of the Plan is that for this important industry to have a successful future, it requires greater policy certainty to deliver a secure investment environment. The Victorian Government is providing leadership in this area.
The Timber Industry Action Plan includes strong, clear actions in line with the Coalition Government’s election commitment to provide greater resource certainty for industry and secure long-term access to native timber supplies.
The Timber Industry Action Plan establishes cross-Government cooperation:
- recognising timber plantations as a legitimate ‘as of right’ crop-raising activity in Victoria’s key agricultural zones;
- working with stakeholders to improve access to training and employment; and
- providing greater security to industry against changes in State Government policy that affect timber supply.
Peter Walsh MLA
Minister for Agriculture and Food Security
The Timber Industry Action Plan identifies 13 key areas under 4 priorities:
- Action 1: Provide long-term access to public native forest timber resources
- Action 2: Improve estimation and communication of sustainable harvest levels from public native forests
- Action 3: Improve the sales system for native timber resource from public native forests
- Action 4: Sustainably develop timber plantations
- Action 5: Assist the timber industry to adapt to climate variability
- Action 6: Improve freight infrastructure and logistics to support the timber supply chain
- Action 7: Support the commercial development of new and emerging markets for timber and timber-related products
- Action 8: Support market access and improve biosecurity for sustainable timber production
- Action 9: Strengthen governance arrangements for forests and timber production
- Action 10: Encourage industry innovation and research and development
- Action 11: Improve industry occupational health and safety
- Action 12: Build a skilled workforce
- Action 13: Enhance community understanding of the benefits of Victoria’s forests