Publications and Resources
DPI provides a large range of publications and resources to industry and the general public through the Earth Resources Business Centre and Information@DPI, both located on the 16th floor, 1 Spring St, Melbourne.
Earth Resources Business Centre
The Earth Resources Business Centre is the public counter of the Earth Resources Development Division, and:
- Receives applications for mineral exploration and mining licences; tourist fossicking and tourist mining authorities. (Land availablility and priority of valid applications are determined on receipt of the licence application at the Business Centre.)
- Provides access to the "Mining Register"
- Provides advice about the use of Miner's Rights
- Provides land tenure reports
Information@DPI provides earth resources related DPI publications for sale as well as access to a reference collection of current and historic publications.
Earth Resources material is available for sale from Information@DPI or via the Online Store. Publications are available as hardcopy, CD/DVD or free download (Online Store only). They include:
- Digital data packages.
- Geoscientific maps.
- Geological Survey of Victoria/GeoScience Victoria Reports: Special publications, GSV Reports, Bulletins, Memoirs, as well as VIMP, 3D Victoria and Gold Undercover Reports.
- Expired Exploration Licence reports.
- Miner's Rights - required in Victoria for fossicking and prospecting
The Earth Resources reference collection has been split into two sections. Most of the collection is stored at the Knowledge Resource Centre (KRC), however a small collection of material, mainly used by the mining industry, is kept at Information@DPI.
Staff at Information@DPI will assist with research, showing clients how to search indexes and catalogues to the collection. A study area with a microfiche reader, access to the catalogue, Victorian Mining Bibliography, GeoVic and GeoMap is provided. Photocopying and printing facilities are also provided.
Researchers of historical information on mining and members of the public are welcome to use the collections. Material such as books, CDs, videos etc can be brought up from Werribee by making a request to Information@DPI (maximum of 7 items at a time) in advance. Please note that neither journals nor journal articles will be provided from Werribee. If you wish to look at a journal which is not located at Information@DPI, you will need to visit the KRC or request an InterLibrary Loan through another library.
Information@DPI collection includes:
- Open file reports on CD-Rom / on-line
- Over 5000 Unpublished Reports of the Geological Survey on microfiche
- Earth Resources published reports
- Current Victorian geological maps
- Historical (published and unpublished) geological maps
- Mine plans and historical lease plans on microfiche
- Over 2000 black and white historical mining photographs for viewing
- Books on the history of gold mining in Victoria
- Some mining and petroleum journals (usually last 3 years)
- Australian mining and petroleum directories
Useful databases, catalogues and indexes
- GeoVic - provides access to many spatial datasets including:
- the location of current and expired tenements
- land status for exploration and mining
- old mines and shafts
- airborne surveys
- geological sites and data
- topographical, gravity, digital terrain model and radiometric images
- Victorian Mining Bibliography - Lists references on Victorian mines and mineral resources. Historical information on particular mines and mining companies are listed and are generally accessible in the Reference Centre.
- Victorian Primary Industries and Environment Library Catalogue - Lists books, journals, published maps and photograph collections located at the KRC and Information@DPI.
- Exploration licence history sheets - Show the boundaries of ELs for a particular area of Victoria over time.
- Virtual Exhibition - A collection of historical photographs online.
Borrowing and copying information
- Photocopying is available at a cost of 22 cents (including GST) per A4 page (55 cents including GST per A3 page). Prints can also be made from the microfiche collection for the same fee.
- Most material can be borrowed as an inter-library loan through the library of a company, institution or local public library service. Unpublished Reports and expired Exploration Licences can be borrowed in microfiche format only.
Phone: 03 9658 4440
Fax: 03 9658 4760
Street address: Level 16, 1 Spring St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Postal address: GPO Box 4440, Melbourne VIC 3001
Opening hours: 9.30am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday