Potato cyst nematode at Thorpdale
12 November 2008 - Number 4
A good result!
The Thailand Department of Agriculture has agreed to release 188 tonnes of Thorpdale seed potatoes that were held in quarantine for two weeks following the Thorpdale PCN detection.
The first response from Thailand was that the shipment would be destroyed immediately. However, an opportunity was then given to present supporting evidence (trace forwards, soil test program and detection details), which made all the difference in resolving the issue.
The shipment was released on condition that the containers and packing materials would be destroyed and the potatoes washed in running water to remove any remaining soil.
This successful outcome was due to AQIS responding quickly to the situation, but also to the support provided by ViCSPA and DPI.
- Early, high-intensity sampling from high-risk properties (to determine the spread of PCN) has not resulted in any further detections.
- Because of this, sampling priorities are being shifted towards addressing market access issues.
Interstate potato movements
A reminder of the current arrangements for interstate movement of potatoes from within 20km of a PCN detection:
Processing potatoes (NSW, QLD and SA only)
- Need a Chief Inspector’s Approval (SA) or Director’s Approval (NSW) or Inspector’s Approval (QLD).
- The business is then accredited under ICA- 44 (SA and NSW only) which includes the following criteria:
- Tested and found free from a control area (includes 20km)
- Washed and graded
- Approved waste disposal
- Consigned to an accredited processor in either NSW or SA.
Packing sheds (NSW only)
For packing sheds located within 20km of a PCN detection, ware potatoes grown outside the PCN 20km area and brought into the 20km area for receiving, processing and packing to be reconsigned into NSW:
- Need a Director’s Approval.
- The business is then accredited under PS-29 which includes the following criteria:
- Cleaning of equipment
- Approved waste disposal
For further information, please contact DPI Plant Standards on (03) 8371 3500.
To arrange interstate approval, please contact the relevant interstate authority.
If you would like to talk to a Rural Financial Counsellor, please contact either:
- RFC Leongatha - 5662 2566 (Jenni Gibson or Marshall White)
- RFC Ellinbank - 5624 2286 (Ilona Kingston)
Your local DPI Community Relationship Manager is Angus Hume:
phone 5662 9927 / 0429 110 546; email email@example.com
DPI would like to acknowledge the support of ViCSPA, Seed Potatoes Victoria, the Victorian Potato Growers’ Council and the Baw Baw Shire Council in the response to the PCN detection.
For information about the movement of potato plant material, machinery and other equipment, please contact DPI Plant Standards on (03) 5624 2331 or firstname.lastname@example.org