Fire, Flood and Other Emergencies
Victoria faces difficult and varying emergencies and threats every year.
Our emergency planning, response and recovery services focus on the provision of animal health and welfare support, pasture management advice and support, pest plant and animal control, erosion protection, livestock feed planning and other common issues during and after an incident.
For assistance, advice or further information about our emergency response and recovery services, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
Who to contact
- For life-threatening emergencies, call 000
- For animal welfare assistance, call our Customer Service Centre on 136 186
- For rural recovery assistance, call the Rural Recovery Coordinator in your area
- For flood or storm emergency assistance, call the SES on 132 500
- Create your own list of emergency contacts using the My Emergency Details tool
Before, during and after an emergency, persons in charge of animals retain the ultimate duty of care to provide for the welfare needs of their animals. We support owners or carers in meeting these responsibilities.
- Animal welfare in emergencies (includes species-specific information)
Bushfire planning and recovery
Bushfires in Victoria are common and can range in severity due to demographic, geographic and climatic factors. Bushfires are a threat to Victoria's livestock industries. We provide assistance and advice for the care for livestock, crops and pastures during bushfires.
Bushfire preparation and plans
- Video: Bushfire preparedness for small landholders
- Fire risk management for farm forestry plantations
- Dairy Australia: Preparing for fire threats
- Country Fire Authority (CFA): Warnings and incidents
- Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE): Fire and other emergencies
- Department of Human Services (DHS): Victorian bushfire assistance
- Bureau of Meteorology (BoM): Weather forecasts
- VicRoads: Road closures and traffic alerts
- When bushfire strikes
- Bushfire recovery
Floods and droughts
We provide assistance and advice for the care of livestock, crops and pastures during floods and droughts.
Other emergencies and threats
We also respond to incidents relating to:
- Agricultural and veterinary chemicals
- Energy supply (including power outages)
More information is available on our Emergency Management page.