Legislation and Regulation
Legal Information for Landholders
Understand the legal and regulatory obligations of farming. A series of eight Booklets organised by topic; Biodiversity, Chemical, Occupational Health and Safety, Livestock, Noxious Weed and Pest Animals, Soils, Waster, Water.
Acts & Regulations for Animal Welfare
The following pages provide access to various acts & regulations relating to animal welfare in Victoria. They also contain information on related orders, notices and approvals (ie: approved organisations):
- Domestic Animals Legislation
- Impounding of Livestock Legislation
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Legislation
Codes of Practice for Animal Welfare
This section lists various Victorian codes of practice and standards relating to the welfare and management of animals:
Plant Biosecurity Legislation
From 1 July 2012, the new Plant Biosecurity Act 2010 and Plant Biosecurity Regulations 2012 replace the existing Plant Health and Plant Products Act 1995 and the Plant Health and Plant Products Regulations 2006. This legislation is used to support the management of plant pests and diseases in Victoria and market access for plants and plant products.
Policy and Strategy
This section lists various papers relating to policy and strategy for the department:
- Meeting the policy challenges of rural and peri-urban land use in Australia: Government, governance and public policy
Advice on Legislation
The documents listed below provide advice on animal welfare related legislation in Victoria:
- Guidelines for the Provision of Shelter for Cattle
- Guidelines for the Provision of Shelter for Sheep
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Legislation - Summary
- Things you should know about Guard Dogs on Non-Residential Properties
New Invasive Species Legislation
Public consultation on proposed new invasive species management legislation is now open.