2010-2011 Annual Report: Our values
DPI’s values are crucial to building the type of culture we want within the department. They are a guide to the way we work, make decisions, interact with others internally and externally, and contribute to achieving outcomes.
In mid-2010 a set of draft values were posted on an internal DPI staff forum for feedback. A strong, constructive response was received and the values were revised based on that feedback. The revised values and behaviours have subsequently been included as part of DPI’s performance management process.
DPI people share knowledge, skills and information; use plain and clear language; and seek to understand and then be understood.
- I am genuine in my dealing with others
- I openly share knowledge, information and skills freely
- I seek and provide feedback constructively
- I listen to others’ points of view
DPI people actively build and maintain effective relationships and positive workplaces; and demonstrate effective team behaviours.
- I foster positive work relationships
- I actively support my manager and my colleagues
- I contribute and collaborate to identify and achieve common goals
- I actively promote trust in the workplace
DPI people seek out and value the different and diverse strengths,ideas and experience of others; and treat people with fairness,courtesy and professionalism.
- I seek out and consider different and diverse approaches
- I act with honesty and integrity
- I am conscious of how my behaviour impacts on others
- I am mindful of others’ feelings and beliefs
Make a difference
DPI people learn, improve and innovate to make a difference; act ethically and with integrity; and initiate and drive change to adapt to changing circumstances.
- I am solution-focused in my work and approach challenges with a positive outlook
- I have a strong sense of personal accountability
- I strive to continually learn, improve and innovate
- I strive to achieve beyond what is expected of me
Focus on safety
DPI people seek to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and colleagues; take action to minimise or eliminate hazards and risks; and are mindful of health and safety in decision making.
- I actively manage hazards and risks to myself and others
- I care for my health and wellbeing and that of my colleagues
- I am mindful of the OHS risks in all decision making
- I work safely and, if I am unsure, I ask
Lead with purpose
DPI people model DPI’s values and behaviours and the Victorian Public Service Code of Conduct; use experience and knowledge to inspire influence and provide a clear direction; and develop others.
- I demonstrate how work connects to the DPI Strategic Plan
- I am accountable for my actions and decisions and empower others to be responsible and accountable for theirs
- I am consistent and fair in my decision making
- I actively seek opportunities to develop myself and others